5 October 2011
Materials: Bernat Cottontots (100% Cotton) in Catnip, and Stitch Nation Bamboo Ewe (55% viscose, 45% Wool) in Grape. Size 5 circular needles and DPNs. Pattern: Daphne and Delilah the Momma and Baby Monster from Danger Crafts.
Time: A couple of weeks.
Cost: Under $10.
One kind of awesome, if unexpected, thing is that I feel absolutely no pressure (self-imposed or otherwise) to knit for my own prospective kid. I’ve already made three pairs of Daphnes and Delilahs as gifts, and had no intention of making another until, after the move, two knitting projects failed catastrophically in quick succession. So, I made a quick trip to Hobby Lobby, picked out two of the brightest, happiest yarn colors I could find, and started in on some comfort knitting.
As always, I followed the pattern pretty much as written. I still have a few pairs of safety eyes left from my initial order to 6060, so I used those too; I will totally order more when I run out, because I think they’re an easy and great finishing touch for toy-type projects.
Unfortunately, one of the things that I noticed about previously-made Daphnes and Delilahs is that the felt mouths got really scrappy-looking really quickly, no matter how carefully I cut or glued or otherwise reinforced them. I think it’s just something in the nature of cheap craft-store felt. For this pair, I took a cue from some of the other finished projects on Ravelry, and sewed zig-zag mouths on with a double strand of embroidery floss. I’m sorry that I didn’t think of this technique sooner — I’m guessing that it’ll be more durable than the felt, and has the same character to it.